Loading...


Skipnavigation


Teaser

  • Milan table centrepiece
  • Habsburger Service
  • Cooking utensils of copper
  • Tableware from Sisi´s private dairy
  • Silver tableware

Teasermenü


Hauptmenü


Klickpfad


Seiteninhalt

Hauptinhalt

Silver Collection

The former Court Silver and Table Room in Vienna

Former Silver and Table Room
Former Silver and Table Room
Imperial table and kitchen linen
Imperial table and kitchen linen

The Imperial Chancellery Wing of the Vienna Hofburg today houses the former Court Silver and Table Room, a unique collection of objects necessary for the running of the imperial household. The display of these objects will afford visitors an insight into the culture of dining at court.

As far back as the 15th century, the Silver Chamber at the Habsburg court was supervised by a Master of the Silver Chamber who was responsible for administering fruit, bread, silver and tableware. Over the course of time the Silver Chamber gained in importance. Its various responsibilities were divided between the Court Kitchen, the Court Confectionery, the Court Linen Room, the Court Cellars, the Court Silver and Table Room, the Court Depot of Victuals, the Court Firewood and Coal Depot and the Court Light Room, that is, the offices that regulated the imperial household.

After the end of the Habsburg monarchy in 1918 the court household was dissolved and the imperial holdings passed into the ownership of the Austrian Republic. While a number of items were sold off, the majority remained in the Court Silver and Table Room. Of these, a part remained in use for formal state banquets and dinners given by the republic while others were put on public view in the former offices of the Silver Room from 1923. After complete renovation and the adaptation of adjacent rooms that had once housed the Royal and Imperial Gobelin Manufactory, the Silver Room was reopened in 1995 as the Imperial Silver Collection. Today around 7,000 items from the total of 150,000 in the collection's holdings are displayed over an area of 1,300 m².

Bookmark and share


Seiten-Fußbereich

KalenderFacebookTwitter